Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
Summary (from Goodreads):
"As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I’m still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me. . . ."

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love—all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may be telling you only half the story.

Welcome to Christine's life.


.~*.*~.~*.*~.~*.*~.~*.*~.~*.*~.~*.*~.

Bit o Background: 
Totally guilty of seeing the trailer for the movie and that's how I decided to read the book.
And, yes, I know that's a different cover (the movie cover *ick*) than what is listed in the link, but I really just wanted to say that I thought the guy on the right of the cover was Stanley Tucci. It's not, but doesn't it kind of look like him? Or is that just me?

Thoughts:
I recall the whole “go to sleep and lose your memory” idea from 50 First Dates and know that it's not a real condition. It is, however, a really interesting concept for a mystery with an unreliable narrator. Instead of being actively lied to, you are learning things along with her.

I thought, more than once, that Christine's journal entries were a bit long for someone who had to reread it every day. Granted, this IS a novel so it's not going to be written in the most efficient way for our sake.

I guess I'm kind of an idiot because I didn't really see the twist coming. Well, HALF the twist. I saw the smaller half, but not the bigger one. No spoilers, but I knew where she was going pretty much immediately at the beginning of Part III and it took way too long to reveal it. Didn't see the other part. Others are reporting that the end was too obvious and killed the whole book. YMMV – proceed with caution.

Didn't really like the very ending. Given the general tone of the novel, I think a darker ending would have fit really well. Things just get wrapped up in a nice tight little bow. I do like some like that, but going by the entire rest of the book it just felt a bit weird.

Verdict:
6/10
I liked it. Despite the flaws, I really had a hard time putting this one down. I finished it in two days. Normally, I have way too much things going on to really sit down a read something for hours on end. This one held me captivated the entire time.
You have to able to suspend some disbelief for the story to work. If you can, you are in for a nice (albeit plot-holed) ride. If you can't, you might just want to skip.

Quibbles:
Semi-spoilery.

Nothing major to the plot, but you've been warned. (Mouse over to reveal.)

I'm not sure if this is a plot-hole, aborted arc, OR (failed) red herring, but the pills. I thought for sure that Ben was drugging her which would not only explain everything, but be way more plausible than the truth.

Comments

back to top